Starting The Conversation About Home Care Service Options With Your Senior Loved One
Comfort Keepers helps families navigate home care service decisions together with senior loved ones
At some point in their lives, many older Americans will require some form of support and assistance due to deteriorating health, mobility issues, cognitive impairments or other age-related limitations. This is especially true for seniors over 65. If you have a senior loved one who is struggling to maintain their independent lifestyle and you are considering a professional home care service, there are several things you need to take into consideration before you open the topic with your senior mom or dad.
First of all, starting this kind of conversation never comes easy. Although you may have some worries about how your loved one will react when confronted with the idea that they need help from a professional home care service, you have to look at the wider picture and assure them it is in their best interest.
Here are some useful tips on how you can start and keep the conversation about potential home care service options on a positive note:
- Chose a familiar setting – Any sensitive topic is best discussed privately, so make sure to schedule a meeting in your or your senior loved one’s home.
- Ask other family members to attend – As the well-being of your senior mom or dad should be a family issue, include siblings or other members of your immediate family in the conversation and encourage them to share their opinions. To ensure that the conversation goes as smoothly as possible, make certain you all agree on the key steps and shared responsibilities.
- Prepare for the conversation – Offer sustainable solutions to the problems you are addressing.
- Be sincere - State your concerns in a way your senior mom or dad can completely understand and try to avoid any confrontation.
- Encourage your senior mom or dad to share feelings – The most important thing is to let your parent express their thoughts and feelings and have a say in the decision-making process that concerns their future.
- Try to reach a common understanding, but have patience and don’t rush things.
If we can help in any way, please do not hesitate to call our local office in Maple Grove, MN today. Our home care service experts can answer any question you might have and offer guidance and counseling. Comfort Keepers are at your disposal 24/7, proudly serving the wider area of Maple Grove, including Minneapolis, Roseville, and Plymouth, MN.